Skip to main content

Week 9 Story: Vyasa's Sperm Bank

In Hastinapur, the problem of infertility was rife. Kings and queens lived and died one after the other, but as the town lost each ruler, no heirs were born to take their rightful place. In the past, the town had found strange loopholes to continue their royal line. Miraculous births and surprise reunions had kept the kingdom going, but their luck had run out. The townspeople of Hastinapur talked daily about what would happen if they had no king and no queen - a sense of nervousness dominated the area, without any heirs forthcoming.

With any problem comes an opportunity, and a wise sage like Vyasa was always going to find that opportunity. Years earlier, Vyasa had started to pay austerities to the god of ice, Himavat, in order to learn how to harness the power of cold. Himavat presented Vyasa with a boon: the first cryogenic chamber, thousands of years before the western world learned of such deep freezing technology.

 Himavat is the god of the Himalayas as well. Source: Wikipedia

Vyasa used this boon to start a small business: a sperm bank. Nobody in the town really understood how it worked - after all, nobody knew what cryogenic chambers were. However, Vyasa donated his own sperm to the cause, and the business started showing results. Babies were being born!  The people of Hastinapur began to take notice, and Vyasa soon was receiving a lot of orders. By some estimates at the time, Vyasa might have been able to produce at least 100 sons from his business!

One day, the king and his three queens came to Vyasa and asked for his help. Initially, the king's three wives were turned off of Vyasa because of his outward appearance, but when they learned they wouldn't have to have sex with him directly, they were less concerned. Lo and behold, the royal family purchased Vyasa's services and the royal heirs came 9 months later, along with stability in Hastinapur.


Author's Note
So I watched Epified's rendition of the Mahabharata, and noticed they spent a lot of time talking about fertility and the struggles to find an heir for the throne. The story also talks about Vyasa and his role in fathering the three brothers that the Mahabharata is ultimately based on. Since everyone points out that Vyasa was super ugly, I wanted to add a twist that allows him to run a sperm bank instead so his pride isn't as hurt in the original story.

Source:
Epified, Karmic Revolution: http://iereadingguides.blogspot.com/2016/01/overview-epified-mahabharata.html

Comments

  1. Vyasa’s Sperm bank is definitely a head turner. It is a funny idea that people did not understand the idea of a sperm bank. I think that your solution to the fertility is awesome. I love you used a modern solution for a problem that has always been around. The way you did it didn’t come off as creepy even though if you think about it…. It is definitely creepy lol. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. You definitely added some humor into that story, even if it was unintentional. The part about the ladies being unattracted to Vyasa but learning about the sperm bank and then going through with the heir process was so shallow, but I found it so funny. Then the part in your Author's Note about Vyasa being "super ugly" just got me - hahaha! It's the way you say it man. Love me some comedic relief in such serious and detrimental times like these. Keep it up, Justin!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Hi Everyone! Here is the link to my storybook: Super Ramayana Bros. (If the link doesn't work, here is the full version: https://sites.google.com/view/super-ramayana-brothers/home ) Thanks for commenting about my project on this Comment Wall! Mario on a real life wall - graffiti is a comment. Source: Wikimedia

Introduction to a Robotics Nerd: Justin

Hi everyone! My name is Justin Kleiber, and I am a senior in Computer Engineering. My passion is robotics, which is the main reason I ended up choosing my major. At OU, I am the president of Sooner Competitive Robotics, which is one of the engineering college's competition teams (hit me up if you want to join!). I also do research on campus, where I mainly work on making a quadcopter fly around without a pilot controlling it. I help a group of high school students in OKC build and program a robot for the FIRST robotics competition, a worldwide high school robotics program. I love robotics, and as such, robots tend to surround my life. A picture I took of the research drone flying in its cage Additionally, I am really competitive and love sports. I've gone to every home OU football game in the four years I have been here, as well as to the Rose Bowl, the Peach Bowl, and two Red River Shootout games. Growing up, I was a huge Virginia Tech fan because my parents went there

Week 7 Story: Comedy Mahabharata

Comedy Mahabharata: Act 4, Scene 3 The scene opens up on a battlefield. The Battle of Kurukshetra is only growing in intensity. In the midst of the scrum, ARJUNA comes out to the front and begins speaking. ARJUNA: The Kauravas have killed my son! It had to be that Jayadratha. He is evil, and has always had it coming to him. We should have killed him back a few scenes ago, but... JAYADRATHA appears from the melee JAYADRATHA: I didn't do anything! It was Duhshasana! He killed your son with a mace not I! ARJUNA: That is irrelevant! You led six warriors against him and killed him! I'm going to kill you now. JAYADRATHA: Oh no. ARJUNA and JAYADRATHA begin running around in circles but nobody intervenes. DRONA steps forward DRONA: Yes, we know what you are wondering - why are we Kauravas stopping Arjuna from killing Jayadratha? Jayadratha is on our side after all. But Jayadratha is insignificant to our plans, so we don't really care if anything happens... ARJUN