Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Epified Mahabharata Part B

This sequence of videos got much deeper into what was covered in the PDE Mahabharata. One thing that stuck out to me was the 100 Sons video, where the balls of flesh were stored in vats of oil and they grew into 100 children. They mentioned there were 101 vats of oil, so I wonder what the unused one was for? Maybe I misheard it.
I thought this could maybe be part of the Vyasa sperm donor story. This is more stem-cell esque, but the idea of sorting the sperm into 100 different test tubes and then Vyasa having 100 sons is totally possible. The animation brings up a lot of parallels between the ancient epic and modern times that I didn't notice in the first reading of the Mahabharata.

One other thing I liked was the snake kingdom that Bhima visits when his evil brother tries to drown him. The artist in the video went all out on the snake picture, and I really liked that. I don't remember the underwater snake kingdom from the Mahabharata (but there were so many characters and settings to keep track of, so I probably read it and then forgot it). I'm glad I can watch the animation - it is quick, easily digestible, and it really helps me get a grasp of what is happening in the story, along with the motivations of the different characters. This is often difficult to see in text form, especially when the text itself is old and uses things from an older time.

The buff snake king gives Bhima a magic drink. Source: Epified

Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Hi Everyone! Here is the link to my storybook: Super Ramayana Bros. (If the link doesn't work, here is the full version: https://sites.google.com/view/super-ramayana-brothers/home ) Thanks for commenting about my project on this Comment Wall! Mario on a real life wall - graffiti is a comment. Source: Wikimedia

Introduction to a Robotics Nerd: Justin

Hi everyone! My name is Justin Kleiber, and I am a senior in Computer Engineering. My passion is robotics, which is the main reason I ended up choosing my major. At OU, I am the president of Sooner Competitive Robotics, which is one of the engineering college's competition teams (hit me up if you want to join!). I also do research on campus, where I mainly work on making a quadcopter fly around without a pilot controlling it. I help a group of high school students in OKC build and program a robot for the FIRST robotics competition, a worldwide high school robotics program. I love robotics, and as such, robots tend to surround my life. A picture I took of the research drone flying in its cage Additionally, I am really competitive and love sports. I've gone to every home OU football game in the four years I have been here, as well as to the Rose Bowl, the Peach Bowl, and two Red River Shootout games. Growing up, I was a huge Virginia Tech fan because my parents went there

Week 7 Story: Comedy Mahabharata

Comedy Mahabharata: Act 4, Scene 3 The scene opens up on a battlefield. The Battle of Kurukshetra is only growing in intensity. In the midst of the scrum, ARJUNA comes out to the front and begins speaking. ARJUNA: The Kauravas have killed my son! It had to be that Jayadratha. He is evil, and has always had it coming to him. We should have killed him back a few scenes ago, but... JAYADRATHA appears from the melee JAYADRATHA: I didn't do anything! It was Duhshasana! He killed your son with a mace not I! ARJUNA: That is irrelevant! You led six warriors against him and killed him! I'm going to kill you now. JAYADRATHA: Oh no. ARJUNA and JAYADRATHA begin running around in circles but nobody intervenes. DRONA steps forward DRONA: Yes, we know what you are wondering - why are we Kauravas stopping Arjuna from killing Jayadratha? Jayadratha is on our side after all. But Jayadratha is insignificant to our plans, so we don't really care if anything happens... ARJUN