Skip to main content

Week 6 Story: A Royal Family

A Royal Family

Five princes and their mother, the queen, were looking for a new palace, and the royal real estate agent had found a great deal for them. The king and other princes had already checked it out for them, and so they went ahead and moved into their new home. It was a lovely palace: it had high ceilings, was open-concept, and had shiplap walls throughout.

While hanging out with his friend, one of the princes saw a commercial on television that made him think. The commercial had a fearsome tone, and talked about how you can get mesothelioma from being exposed to asbestos, a common building material in old houses and other structures. After watching this, the prince went to his new home and set about investigating the walls and ceilings of the palace. One of the planks of shiplap was a bit loose, and when he peeked under the crack it left between the exposed wall, he saw a lot of small fibers that looked a lot like the asbestos in the commercial he watched earlier that day. The prince went to his trusted aide, and discussed what he had seen.

 The asbestos the prince may have seen, Source: Wikimedia

The aide and the prince suspected that the palace had not been inspected before the royal family had purchased it. Normally, a lot more due diligence would have been put into such a purchase, as the royal family had a lot of power and wanted to protect their interests. The prince decided that the King and the princes who stayed at the original palace must have been trying to attack their health, but very slowly over time so they would not be found out. To avoid raising suspicion, the prince instructed that he wanted to build a rocket launch pad outside, but to keep it discreet so nobody would find out. The best rocket scientists in the land came to the prince's aid, and they worked nights to make sure the rocket and the launch pad were built to specification. They built all of this in a forest behind the palace as it provided enough cover to protect the project from the eyes of the evil king and his sons.

Finally, after a year of working on the rocketry project it was ready for launch. At night all five princes and the queen got in the rocket and then it blasted off into the night sky, scorching the surrounding forested area in the process and leveling the house to dust. The rocket was not designed to reach orbit, but was rather pointed so it could land in a far away land where the queen and her princes could be safe. While the princes and the queen lived happily ever after, the evil king and his sons were embarrassed when facing the press, as they had to explain why the princes and the queen found it necessary to go to such lengths to escape the family.

The gang blasts off to escape their situation. Source: NASA

Author's Note
My inspiration for this story was in part B of the Mahabharata, where the Pandavas and Queen Kunti move into a palace that is highly flammable. In that story they hired a miner who dug a tunnel to get out of their house. I thought that was over-the-top, so I figured why not double down and make it even more over-the-top by adding a rocket. I wanted to comment on the current state of the British Royal family, with the asbestos being the toxicity of the tabloids. It isn't important to the story if that reference is missed though, as I want my readers to enjoy the content.

Source:
PDE Mahabharata (Arnold, Besant, Devee, Dutt, Ganguli, Kincaid, Macfie, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Seeger, and Tagore.)


Comments

  1. Hi Justin!
    I really like the amount of detail you were able to create within this story! For example I like how you explained what exactly the palace looked like such as with this sentence, "It was a lovely palace: it had high ceilings, was open-concept, and had shiplap walls throughout". I love a good story that uses every opportunity to provide the story with little details. I wonder what would have happened in the Prince would have never seen the commercial?? My one suggestion for your story would be to explain why they need a rocket to escape before the rocket scientist come over to help build it. I felt a little lost with this transition. Overall I love the was you changes your story and brought in modern times within it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Justin!
    I really liked your version of retelling your story! It was a much more modern approach which I really appreciate and liked. Your detail in wording and overall vocabulary made it really smooth and helped me appreciate your plot and setting a lot more than just getting stuck up on the details. I also liked the imagery you included, by means of image, as it helped me understand a little more about what was going on. I appreciate your "over-the-top" method of adding a rocket to spice things up! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Justin,
    I enjoyed reading your story, it was written a lot of imagery which helped me picture what I was reading especially when you described how the building looked because of asbestos. The incorporation of the rocket was also pretty cool, The only advice I have is maybe to add more detail for explaining why did the evil King and his sons want to hurt their health and more on the process of the rocket being created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Justin!
    You definitely succeed in making this story even more over the top than in the original. I loved kind of how ridiculous it felt. I will say I missed the reference to the British royal family and asbestos but I think it be even more interesting if you put in the names of the royal family to make this a more overt theme and this would make the story even more over the top. I found myself asking while reading, "wait so did they just live in the house with asbestos for a year?" so it might also make sense if the asbestos is a more active threat. You could say something like "the family suffered with the asbestos constantly invading their personal space" or "the asbestos just would not leave the princes and their mother alone and there was nothing they could do" to talk about the danger/inability to leave immeadiately in a funny way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Hi Everyone! Here is the link to my storybook: Super Ramayana Bros. (If the link doesn't work, here is the full version: https://sites.google.com/view/super-ramayana-brothers/home ) Thanks for commenting about my project on this Comment Wall! Mario on a real life wall - graffiti is a comment. Source: Wikimedia

Introduction to a Robotics Nerd: Justin

Hi everyone! My name is Justin Kleiber, and I am a senior in Computer Engineering. My passion is robotics, which is the main reason I ended up choosing my major. At OU, I am the president of Sooner Competitive Robotics, which is one of the engineering college's competition teams (hit me up if you want to join!). I also do research on campus, where I mainly work on making a quadcopter fly around without a pilot controlling it. I help a group of high school students in OKC build and program a robot for the FIRST robotics competition, a worldwide high school robotics program. I love robotics, and as such, robots tend to surround my life. A picture I took of the research drone flying in its cage Additionally, I am really competitive and love sports. I've gone to every home OU football game in the four years I have been here, as well as to the Rose Bowl, the Peach Bowl, and two Red River Shootout games. Growing up, I was a huge Virginia Tech fan because my parents went there

Week 7 Story: Comedy Mahabharata

Comedy Mahabharata: Act 4, Scene 3 The scene opens up on a battlefield. The Battle of Kurukshetra is only growing in intensity. In the midst of the scrum, ARJUNA comes out to the front and begins speaking. ARJUNA: The Kauravas have killed my son! It had to be that Jayadratha. He is evil, and has always had it coming to him. We should have killed him back a few scenes ago, but... JAYADRATHA appears from the melee JAYADRATHA: I didn't do anything! It was Duhshasana! He killed your son with a mace not I! ARJUNA: That is irrelevant! You led six warriors against him and killed him! I'm going to kill you now. JAYADRATHA: Oh no. ARJUNA and JAYADRATHA begin running around in circles but nobody intervenes. DRONA steps forward DRONA: Yes, we know what you are wondering - why are we Kauravas stopping Arjuna from killing Jayadratha? Jayadratha is on our side after all. But Jayadratha is insignificant to our plans, so we don't really care if anything happens... ARJUN