Skip to main content

Week 2 Story: The Oppressed

The Oppressed

Ten years ago, a dictator rose to power in a small, poverty stricken nation after a long civil war. The nation was torn, shops closed, infrastructure crumbled, and only the wealthy and strong had access to the already small rations of food and water the country could produce. To the citizens, it seemed like the rest of the world had forgotten about them, and low on food, many wondered if they would be able to survive much longer in their current situation. However, the nation was under many sanctions and the dictator did not allow anyone to emigrate - the oligarchs could not live their lavish lifestyle without the working class.

It was common in those days to look for a way out - no foreign aid or the alliance of nations seemed to help, and sometimes even scoffed at the plight of the oppressed people in this nation. However, no way was forthcoming until one day in June, during a big drought, a man named Cane drove through the capital city advertising his service to smuggle people to a better country, without war and without hunger. Many people thought it was a good idea in theory, but were skeptical - Cane was charging a pretty hefty fee to get to this promised land, but his credentials were shady. He had a reputation for criminal activity, but despite this, many people went in his first van out of the country. When the first group of travelers sent messages back home that they were living much better in the wealthy nation, the demands for Cane's services became much greater.

However, Cane wanted more money - but he knew the people would refuse to pay more. So he struck up a deal with a man in the wealthy nation, a man who sold people into slavery. Cane realized he could get more money from this man than from the people he was selling to him and considered it a new revenue stream. Every van after the last one led to slavery, where many people's lives were worse than before, and many died. Cane kept taking people and selling them into slavery week after week in his convoys. It was his standard to make his passengers drop their belongings and come empty handed, but as the populations thinned out from where his business operated, he was more lax with this requirement. Then one day he picked up an older man named Chad.

Chad felt something was wrong with Cane and didn't want to leave the nation without protection. He agreed to go with Cane on the condition that he could bring his bag with him. Cane reluctantly agreed, figuring the slave trader would take the bags away anyways. However, when Chad noticed that Cane's van was driving the wrong way, to a desolate region of the wealthy country rather than the prosperous city, he asked Cane where he was being taken. When Cane didn't respond, Chad pulled a pistol out of his bag and held it up to Cane's head. Terrified, Cane told Chad he would turn around and take him to the city as long as he didn't shoot. Once they arrived in the city, Chad got out of the van. Feeling lucky to be alive, but realizing that more people could be led astray, Chad shot Cane, killing him. Chad alerted the authorities to Cane's activities when called in for questioning, and many people from Chad's old town were rescued from the slave trader, but not before many others were lost.

Human slavery still exists today (Link)


Author's Note:
I was inspired by The Cunning Crane and the Crab, where a crane preys on fish by telling them he can take them to a better lake. I adapted it to a more relevant modern story to show how human trafficking is an unseen problem in society, mainly because of the disparity in power between those who are desperate for a better life and unethical people who are looking for a profit.

Bibliography
The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India by W. H. D. Rouse. (Link)

Comments

  1. Hi Justin! I was really impressed by how you took a simple fairy tale and turned it into a current indictment of the modern human trafficking issue. This story had a very dark tone, which was a contrast to many of the stories I have read in this class, but I think you did a great job of drawing a parallel between The Crane and the Crab and getting your message across. I think the wording was confusing in some places, making some sections of the story unclear, but overall this was well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Justin,

    It didn't take long for me to figure out that this was the crane and crab story. You did a great job developing the setting. I was more emotionally drawn to the war-torn country than I was to the dwindling water of the crab's pool. You captured the fear and frustration of the people, and your set-up answered the Entitled's question, "if it's really that bad, why don't they just leave?" eloquently.

    You have the same crutch word that I do. How else can you articulate the converse of what is stated besides using "however?" This isn't just to get you thinking. I keep asking myself that same question. Maybe we can figure it out together.

    I agree with Kcaelle about some of the wording being confusing. The issues are primarily in paragraphs 2 and 3. I suggest having someone else read these paragraphs aloud to you while you close your eyes and imagine the scene.

    If you're still deciding what to do for your final project, doing a social justice theme and building this story out for one of the entries would be cool. I'd think you could turn your conclusion into a call to action and connect it to a couple of hero stories.

    I enjoyed your story. It stands out from the rest I have read from class. I look forward to reading more from you.

    -Eden

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Hi Everyone! Here is the link to my storybook: Super Ramayana Bros. (If the link doesn't work, here is the full version: https://sites.google.com/view/super-ramayana-brothers/home ) Thanks for commenting about my project on this Comment Wall! Mario on a real life wall - graffiti is a comment. Source: Wikimedia

Introduction to a Robotics Nerd: Justin

Hi everyone! My name is Justin Kleiber, and I am a senior in Computer Engineering. My passion is robotics, which is the main reason I ended up choosing my major. At OU, I am the president of Sooner Competitive Robotics, which is one of the engineering college's competition teams (hit me up if you want to join!). I also do research on campus, where I mainly work on making a quadcopter fly around without a pilot controlling it. I help a group of high school students in OKC build and program a robot for the FIRST robotics competition, a worldwide high school robotics program. I love robotics, and as such, robots tend to surround my life. A picture I took of the research drone flying in its cage Additionally, I am really competitive and love sports. I've gone to every home OU football game in the four years I have been here, as well as to the Rose Bowl, the Peach Bowl, and two Red River Shootout games. Growing up, I was a huge Virginia Tech fan because my parents went there

Week 7 Story: Comedy Mahabharata

Comedy Mahabharata: Act 4, Scene 3 The scene opens up on a battlefield. The Battle of Kurukshetra is only growing in intensity. In the midst of the scrum, ARJUNA comes out to the front and begins speaking. ARJUNA: The Kauravas have killed my son! It had to be that Jayadratha. He is evil, and has always had it coming to him. We should have killed him back a few scenes ago, but... JAYADRATHA appears from the melee JAYADRATHA: I didn't do anything! It was Duhshasana! He killed your son with a mace not I! ARJUNA: That is irrelevant! You led six warriors against him and killed him! I'm going to kill you now. JAYADRATHA: Oh no. ARJUNA and JAYADRATHA begin running around in circles but nobody intervenes. DRONA steps forward DRONA: Yes, we know what you are wondering - why are we Kauravas stopping Arjuna from killing Jayadratha? Jayadratha is on our side after all. But Jayadratha is insignificant to our plans, so we don't really care if anything happens... ARJUN