Skip to main content

Storybook Topic Brainstorm

Topic Idea 1: Jataka VeggieTales

When I was growing up, the church I went to often showed VeggieTales to children (including myself) in Sunday school classes in order to teach the bible in simple terms. I believe a similar style of storytelling could be a fun way to tell many of the Jataka stories. I really liked the Jataka tales from the second week and I think VeggieTales would be a good format for re-telling the stories because it too sought to distill the themes and virtues of its subject matter into entertaining stories. I think the best way to write this type of story would be in a script based format.

I would rely on the sources below - the first two mainly so I can stay true to the spirit of the Jatakas and VeggieTales, the third for additional research, and the fourth for story ideas.
Source on Jatakas
Source on VeggieTales
Project Idea: Jatakas
List of Jatakas from Class

Topic Idea 2: Love Letters of the Ramayana

One topic I am interested in exploring is the way love was shown in the Ramayana. In particular, I would be interested in showing what I learn in the form of different love letters between characters in this epic. I think I would be able to learn a lot by getting in character and writing letters - this would also allow me to write responses to the letters and get a series going about the love dynamic in the story.

I was inspired by the Love Stories project idea, and I would want to use couples from the Loving Couples of the Ramayana section. Obviously I would want to cover Rama and Sita, but I think exploring lesser known couples in a love letter based format might help tell their story in an interesting and different way.

Topic Idea 3: A Ramayana Travel Guide

One thing that always helps me understand a story that takes place in many places is a map. When I first read the Wizard of Oz, I had an old copy of the book and it had a map in it, which helped me understand the progression and travel throughout the story. I want to do something similar for the Ramayana, and I think a good way to do it would be in the form of a travel guide - I could be a Ramayana travel blogger. I would talk about the best destinations and retell the stories that happened at each place, while providing some geographical context.

I found the Geography of the Ramayana page to be a good jumping off point, especially because it has a list of important places I could write about.

Topic Idea 4: Super Ramayana Bros.

The video game I loved the most growing up was Super Mario Bros., a great adventure of two Italian plumbers on their mission to save the princess. I think the Ramayana could provide a similar story to this classic video game. Retelling this story in the form of different Mario Bros. levels with a Ramayana twist would be really fun, and mixing the two would make for a good story in my opinion.

I would focus on Rama and his brothers, and have their mission be to save Sita from Ravana and the Rakshasas, as outlined in Sita's Wikipedia page. I would be able to use the project idea page for Epic Brothers as well.

The logo for Super Mario Bros. - this could be Super Ramayana Bros. when I write my storybook (Source: Wikipedia)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Hi Everyone! Here is the link to my storybook: Super Ramayana Bros. (If the link doesn't work, here is the full version: https://sites.google.com/view/super-ramayana-brothers/home ) Thanks for commenting about my project on this Comment Wall! Mario on a real life wall - graffiti is a comment. Source: Wikimedia

Introduction to a Robotics Nerd: Justin

Hi everyone! My name is Justin Kleiber, and I am a senior in Computer Engineering. My passion is robotics, which is the main reason I ended up choosing my major. At OU, I am the president of Sooner Competitive Robotics, which is one of the engineering college's competition teams (hit me up if you want to join!). I also do research on campus, where I mainly work on making a quadcopter fly around without a pilot controlling it. I help a group of high school students in OKC build and program a robot for the FIRST robotics competition, a worldwide high school robotics program. I love robotics, and as such, robots tend to surround my life. A picture I took of the research drone flying in its cage Additionally, I am really competitive and love sports. I've gone to every home OU football game in the four years I have been here, as well as to the Rose Bowl, the Peach Bowl, and two Red River Shootout games. Growing up, I was a huge Virginia Tech fan because my parents went there

Week 7 Story: Comedy Mahabharata

Comedy Mahabharata: Act 4, Scene 3 The scene opens up on a battlefield. The Battle of Kurukshetra is only growing in intensity. In the midst of the scrum, ARJUNA comes out to the front and begins speaking. ARJUNA: The Kauravas have killed my son! It had to be that Jayadratha. He is evil, and has always had it coming to him. We should have killed him back a few scenes ago, but... JAYADRATHA appears from the melee JAYADRATHA: I didn't do anything! It was Duhshasana! He killed your son with a mace not I! ARJUNA: That is irrelevant! You led six warriors against him and killed him! I'm going to kill you now. JAYADRATHA: Oh no. ARJUNA and JAYADRATHA begin running around in circles but nobody intervenes. DRONA steps forward DRONA: Yes, we know what you are wondering - why are we Kauravas stopping Arjuna from killing Jayadratha? Jayadratha is on our side after all. But Jayadratha is insignificant to our plans, so we don't really care if anything happens... ARJUN