Skip to main content

Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana, Part A

Ramayana Online: Public Domain Edition

from M. Dutt, R. Dutt, Gould, Griffith, Hodgson, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Oman, Richardson, and Ryder.

Notes for Part A


#10 and #11
Rama breaks the bow of Shiva, and draws the bow of Vishnu in these parts. The interesting thing to me is how a show of strength is needed to gain Sita's hand in marriage. I think it's interesting that the king is basically posing a strength challenge to make sure his future son in law is strong enough to protect his beloved daughter. Even more intriguing to me is how Parashurama just appears suddenly to apprehend Rama and Lakshmana. In each part of the Ramayana it seems like time isn't important, with things and people just appearing at the right moment. Parashurama just shows up immediately on cue and has a new challenge for Rama - to draw the bow of Vishnu. Rama is Vishnu's avatar, so this is an easy task and this is how he confirms Sita's hand in marriage


#15
I think this part of the Ramayana has been defined by King Dasharatha making promises he doesn't want to keep before hearing what people want him to do. This is no more apparent in his yielding to Queen Kaikeyi in banishing Rama to exile and replacing him with one of his brothers. This is entirely avoidable, but the king is a man of his word so he is forced into a dilemma. I think my favorite part of the king is how he is true to his word to a fault. He is very honorable, unlike the Queen, who is a villain. I think it would have been interesting to hear about Bharata's ambitions to the throne - it seems like the only people who care about him being the crown prince are his mother and his old nurse. I wonder if he will turn into a villain like his mother, or if he will be a friend to his brother later.




I enjoyed part A of the Ramayana and I think the PDE is a good edition for me because I can see multiple ways of storytelling. Here is my favorite picture from part A:

Rama breaks the bow of Shiva, Source: PDE Ramayana


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Hi Everyone! Here is the link to my storybook: Super Ramayana Bros. (If the link doesn't work, here is the full version: https://sites.google.com/view/super-ramayana-brothers/home ) Thanks for commenting about my project on this Comment Wall! Mario on a real life wall - graffiti is a comment. Source: Wikimedia

Introduction to a Robotics Nerd: Justin

Hi everyone! My name is Justin Kleiber, and I am a senior in Computer Engineering. My passion is robotics, which is the main reason I ended up choosing my major. At OU, I am the president of Sooner Competitive Robotics, which is one of the engineering college's competition teams (hit me up if you want to join!). I also do research on campus, where I mainly work on making a quadcopter fly around without a pilot controlling it. I help a group of high school students in OKC build and program a robot for the FIRST robotics competition, a worldwide high school robotics program. I love robotics, and as such, robots tend to surround my life. A picture I took of the research drone flying in its cage Additionally, I am really competitive and love sports. I've gone to every home OU football game in the four years I have been here, as well as to the Rose Bowl, the Peach Bowl, and two Red River Shootout games. Growing up, I was a huge Virginia Tech fan because my parents went there

Week 7 Story: Comedy Mahabharata

Comedy Mahabharata: Act 4, Scene 3 The scene opens up on a battlefield. The Battle of Kurukshetra is only growing in intensity. In the midst of the scrum, ARJUNA comes out to the front and begins speaking. ARJUNA: The Kauravas have killed my son! It had to be that Jayadratha. He is evil, and has always had it coming to him. We should have killed him back a few scenes ago, but... JAYADRATHA appears from the melee JAYADRATHA: I didn't do anything! It was Duhshasana! He killed your son with a mace not I! ARJUNA: That is irrelevant! You led six warriors against him and killed him! I'm going to kill you now. JAYADRATHA: Oh no. ARJUNA and JAYADRATHA begin running around in circles but nobody intervenes. DRONA steps forward DRONA: Yes, we know what you are wondering - why are we Kauravas stopping Arjuna from killing Jayadratha? Jayadratha is on our side after all. But Jayadratha is insignificant to our plans, so we don't really care if anything happens... ARJUN