Skip to main content

Feedback Strategies: Giving Great Feedback is Important too

How to Give Feedback Without Being a Jerk

The first article I read was about giving negative feedback. As the president of OU's competitive robotics team, I have to give a fair amount of feedback, both positive and negative. I think giving negative feedback is the hardest, because I tend to worry if I come down too harshly if I will lose a team member. College clubs have less ability to tie down members than companies, mainly because companies have money to pay their employees. So learning how to give good negative feedback was top of mind for me, and I think this article helped me come up with ways to give such feedback. I liked the collaborative aspect of the advice given in the article - instead of handing down edicts from above, the focus was more directed toward working together to improve. I believe good leaders go out of their way to help their members succeed through working together, and I want to model my feedback off of this rather than being a person on a pedestal who nobody wants to work with.

Simon Cowell is known for giving negative feedback, but normally is a jerk about it. Source: the article

Five Reasons to Stop Saying "Good Job!"

I was interested in reading this document because I wanted to learn how to give better praise. What I got is a good lesson on parenting that can be applied to my current life phase as well. I often heard "Good Job!" when I did things as a child, and still hear it a lot today if I do things well. I think this may have been somewhat damaging to me, because like this article says, it adds more pressure for me to do well, and it means that I feel like the phrase isn't very valuable. Sometimes, I feel a lack of accomplishment because of the simplicity of "Good Job", or because it all feels conditional on my doing well. In my job as a leader, I need to make sure I am avoiding this easy way out - instead of patting people on the back when they do well, I should support them even when they struggle. I think if I had grown up with more unconditional support rather than "Good Job"s, my mental health would be in a better place because I wouldn't be seeking my next "Good Job" award. For myself, I am going to take a more serious investment in praising others and supporting them, and try to rewire my brain to seek out things I like rather than the simple "Good Job"s of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Hi Everyone! Here is the link to my storybook: Super Ramayana Bros. (If the link doesn't work, here is the full version: https://sites.google.com/view/super-ramayana-brothers/home ) Thanks for commenting about my project on this Comment Wall! Mario on a real life wall - graffiti is a comment. Source: Wikimedia

Introduction to a Robotics Nerd: Justin

Hi everyone! My name is Justin Kleiber, and I am a senior in Computer Engineering. My passion is robotics, which is the main reason I ended up choosing my major. At OU, I am the president of Sooner Competitive Robotics, which is one of the engineering college's competition teams (hit me up if you want to join!). I also do research on campus, where I mainly work on making a quadcopter fly around without a pilot controlling it. I help a group of high school students in OKC build and program a robot for the FIRST robotics competition, a worldwide high school robotics program. I love robotics, and as such, robots tend to surround my life. A picture I took of the research drone flying in its cage Additionally, I am really competitive and love sports. I've gone to every home OU football game in the four years I have been here, as well as to the Rose Bowl, the Peach Bowl, and two Red River Shootout games. Growing up, I was a huge Virginia Tech fan because my parents went there

Week 7 Story: Comedy Mahabharata

Comedy Mahabharata: Act 4, Scene 3 The scene opens up on a battlefield. The Battle of Kurukshetra is only growing in intensity. In the midst of the scrum, ARJUNA comes out to the front and begins speaking. ARJUNA: The Kauravas have killed my son! It had to be that Jayadratha. He is evil, and has always had it coming to him. We should have killed him back a few scenes ago, but... JAYADRATHA appears from the melee JAYADRATHA: I didn't do anything! It was Duhshasana! He killed your son with a mace not I! ARJUNA: That is irrelevant! You led six warriors against him and killed him! I'm going to kill you now. JAYADRATHA: Oh no. ARJUNA and JAYADRATHA begin running around in circles but nobody intervenes. DRONA steps forward DRONA: Yes, we know what you are wondering - why are we Kauravas stopping Arjuna from killing Jayadratha? Jayadratha is on our side after all. But Jayadratha is insignificant to our plans, so we don't really care if anything happens... ARJUN